Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: K40 and Stadium Lighting

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I'm guessing that that?Kodachrome will leave you 2-3 stops under. Not a place you want to start from.

    Has anybody mentioned color temperature? Daylight is blushing light around 52-55k Tungsten is 3200. (reddish side.)

    The Sodium and Mercury lights who knows. Lets just say they are harder to color correct for.

    Try this ....Run this test and check out the results with a still camera. Buy a roll or two of 35mm film, use the emulsions you are considering shooting in Super 8.

    Not all Super 8 film emulsions are available in 35mm. still...go get the film as close to the same ASA and color balance. D or T. You will only find one or two types of Tungsten film in 35mm still work.

    Shoot a test under the same lighting conditions you will be up against. Analyze the results. Try shooting at the shutter speed your film Super 8 Camera is running at what? Aprox. 1/30 At F ?. Remember your chrome films have less color temperature latitude and will scram off color if you get it wrong. And you will need to nail the exposure to get a good image.

    Black White would be the easiest way to go that is if it makes since to your story .

  2. #12
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    The stadium uses metal halide lights. Someone on the Shooting 8mm forum provided me with a link to Kodak's tech specs website. That website suggested that (for Ektachrome 7240) a Wratten Type B filter be used. Kodak's website recommends that the in-camera Type A filter can be used on Ektachrome without a huge color difference.

    I attended a non-league high school football game Friday night and took my Leicina Super, a roll of E7240 and a roll of K40. I forgot to thaw out one of my frozen rolls of Tri-X and I meant to bring my low-light Chinon 20 P XL but I forgot that too. I did not shoot any film but just metered the available light with the internal light meter. Assuming that all high school football stadiums are lighted equally, the results of this test should apply for all the venues in which I'm shooting.

    My Leicina Super's lens is rated at 1:1.9. I used the built-in Type A filter. Here are the results:

    K40
    (Filtered): Opened up all the way. (Unnecessary because it was night but I did it for some reason)
    (Unfiltered): 2.5 f-stops

    E7240
    (Filtered): About 2.5 f-stops
    (Unfiltered): About 4 f-stops--perhaps 3.5.

    I'll try again next week with my low-light Chinon.

    Tom

  3. #13
    Inactive Member pauls opinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you want to finish on video you can always filter the red out in post..so you won't have to use a filter at all.

    Ever considered your depth of field with the low f stops; I suppose you know what the result are, depending on the distance of the camera to the subject as well of course.

    Paul

  4. #14
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Well I didn't film anything so I can't really tell what the DoF was. I zoomed in, focused, and then zoomed out. I'm shooting on wide angle, so I don't think there'll be too much of a problem.

    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •